Luke is serving in the Argentina Buenos Aires West Mission.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Letter From Luke Dated March 15, 2013

Hey everyone!
   So things here are about the same. We have about 6 hours of class every day, plus 4 hours or so of study time. Our teachers are trying to give us as much study time as possible, so some of us have become "investigators" for other missionaries in the class. I'm one of them, I took my background story from like 10 different people I've known and associated with throughout my life. This is really helping me understand the way an investigator feels during a lesson and how to better approach their needs. I'm really grateful for this opportunity that I have to get a different perspective on the whole process.
   We had a devotional on Tuesday night. Elder Paul V. Johnson of the seventy came to speak to us. It's such an amazing experience to hear from a general authority every single week. Hardly anyone in the world has an opportunity like this. I sing in the choir every week for the devotional, partly because it gets me good seats, and partly because I like to sing in the choir. The director, Brother Eggett is one of the funniest guys I've ever met, and he usually tells a story about the gospel, and applies it in a way we've never heard of. Last Sunday he told of the atonement of Christ in a way that i had never thought of. It really made me think of how much more grateful we should be for the things Christ has done for us.
   Almost everyone in my district is sick in some way. My companion has pneumonia plus some kind of viral infection in his lungs, another elder has been having severe allergic reactions to something that he's been in contact with here so his face and hands swell up almost every day, one of the other elders has "severe digestive issues." Lets just say the food isn't treating him too well. I'm not really sick. Every now and then I feel a little bit of cold symptoms, but other than that I'm doing great! Since my companion is sick we have had to go to the student health clinic off campus a few times now. Yesterday we had to go there to get him some more medicine and on the way back the shuttle driver went up by the riverwoods and a few other places around Provo. It was nice to get out, even if just for a second.
   This next Wednesday I'll have the opportunity to host new missionaries. So I'll be one of those who patiently waits while the missionary says goodbye to his family. I'm pretty excited for this! This last Monday we had the chance to host senior missionaries. This was pretty cool, the senior missionaries are so nice and fun!
   So. Bad news. Yesterday we all got some papers in our mailbox. It said something along the lines of this; "Elder Morgan, We regret to inform you that you have not yet received your visa clearance for Argentina and will not be able to travel to Argentina on your scheduled date. Your name will be put in for reassignment. We will have your reassignment on Thursday."  So from everything I've heard, most of the time a reassignment is only for one transfer. And afterwards I will be able to go to Argentina. So on Thursday I get to find out where I'm going!! Pretty exciting!
   Said goodbye to my friend Chase on Monday, and to my friend JD yesterday. That was all kinda bittersweet. Soon I'll be the one leaving, That'll be interesting for sure!
   So we've been playing a game called El Nativo. Every day we all draw papers, they either say Gringo or El Nativo. If you draw El Nativo you can only speak Spanish for the next day. If you draw gringo you have to make everyone think you're the nativo. Well, I have no clue how it happened since I barely spoke any spanish, but I got voted for the most times! So I won my teachers favorite tie! This is a pretty big deal, Just saying. I'll try to send pictures of it later today. 
   So I know most of you are like 5 minutes away, but still. It's really nice to have spring coming up. The days are a lot nicer here. Since there's just a bunch of big buildings on campus it can be really dark throughout the days. But lately it's been a lot brighter. We get to study outside a lot more, and today we're having lunch outside. That'll be really nice!
   I love showing off my letters from my nieces, nephews, and all my family to the people in my district. The Hermanas (Sisters) in my district love seeing stuff from the family.
   I'll get you my address for my reassignment as soon as I can. But in the meantime, Keep writing letters! Dear Elder would probably be best right now just because of the lack of time before I leave.
   
   I'm so grateful for the the opportunity I have to consecrate my life to serving the lord for two years! I know without a shadow of a doubt that what I'm doing here will help me and others throughout the rest of our lives. I know that this church is the only true restored gospel, that Joseph Smith truly was a prophet of God, and that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God called today. I know that the Book of Mormon can be a great blessing in all of our lives, and that the answer to any question we may have is contained in its pages. I know these things to be true. And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
   I love you all.     
     Elder Morgan








No comments:

Post a Comment