Luke is serving in the Argentina Buenos Aires West Mission.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Luke's Letter Dated 04-01-13

Hola!

So this has been my first week in the field now! I'm assigned to the Farmington zone. My area covers south Layton, down to Lagoon. We cover 14 stakes, our ward has about 200 people in it or so. All spanish speaking. We only teach Spanish speakers, but most of them speak some english too, So I understand the conversations as well.  We live in a little townhome in Kaysville. There's 6 of us living there now. But barely enough room for 4. So me and the other visa waiter have to keep all of our stuff in the unfinished basement, and sleep  in the living room. I sleep on the couch, and he sleeps on an air mattress. It's not the greatest, but it works! So being in Utah, all the members love missionaries! So we get fed every night, and sometimes twice a day. Last night we had the biggest dinner ever with one of our stake presidents. It was awesome! Mostly we eat out with spanish families, and i'm LOVING the food! Which isn't good, considering I already gained 10 pounds in the MTC. My goal is to not come back too fat! 

We had a talent show on friday night with our ward. There was a lot of cool stuff there, Jaun Direction (one direction) some clowns (one elder is terrified of clowns) and we did the Haka (I think i spelled that right) like the tongan war dance. It was pretty cool! We had a guy from new zeland there with us, so he really rocked it. Our ward mission leader Eric Russec had his band there. It was really fun!  

We have about 6 or 7 investigators. Some are super solid, but some just flake out on us. Like yesterday, we had this family who said they would for sure come to church. But we get about halfway through sacrament meeting (which started at 11) and see that they're not there. So we leave and go to their house, and he's out weed-eating his lawn. We get talking to him and he said he was too tired to come to church. We thought it was a really lame excuse. Oh well. Some other investigators are looking pretty solid for baptism pretty soon here. Hopefully we'll have at least a couple this transfer. Our mission is the highest baptizing in the world. The goal for this year is 3500. Our mission president recieved revelation on this goal while reading Alma 4:5. Pretty high, but I know these guys can do it!

So I'll be here for at least one transfer (6 weeks) because my mission president made a deal with the missionary department that he could have us for that long just so it doesn't screw up our transfer schedule. I'm really loving being here, even though I'm only like an hour and a half from home! It's still awesome to be here! It doesn't even feel like i'm in Utah still. It's kinda weird. But yeah it's pretty nice here! We play soccer with the ward and some investigators every saturday, we play basketball every morning, and on mondays we go to the sports-plex here in kaysville. I guess it's like a huge gym with a trampoline park, soccer fields, basketball courts, all kinds of stuff. I'm pretty stoked for that!  

We will probably get to go to general conference this next week, we're really excited and so are the families that we will get to take! It should be a really good experience.  Every now and then we get to take investigators down to temple square, just to let them get out of their environment, and into one that they can feel the spirit. I haven't been able to do this yet, but i'm pretty excited for it!

So... I think that rather that sending letters, emails will be better. They're gonna be faster, and especially in Argentina email will be tons faster. I still like getting letters in the mail though! But yeah! I just wanna hear from you all!
Spread my email address around. Like facebook and stuff. That'd rock.

I love you all, I pray for you every day, and i look forward to hearing from you!

Love,  Elder Luke Morgan

New Zealand missionary explaining the haka



Our car, at our ward mission leaders house, his 18 year old sister likes to screw with the missionaries


A shopping list that someone helped us with.


No comments:

Post a Comment